I have summarized ideas and thoughts about the two chapter readings
and the articles:
There are many differences in ESL and NES writing. The essays
that students write are not the same because the students learned how to write
them differently. Students who are not native English speakers might have
learned how to write an essay a different way. This does not mean that they are
incapable of writing a good paper; it simply means that it might not be the
same as those who are native English speakers. As future teachers, we have to
acknowledge this and know that not every student has learned the same way. We
cannot grade a recent immigrant to the United States the same way that we would
grade a U.S. born student who knows the most appropriate ways to write a good
paper. Teachers have to know where these students are coming from in order to
understand why these differences in writing occur.
Teachers should know at what level their English learners
are at. Some students need more help in reading/writing/speaking the language,
others might already be at the proficient level and they don’t need to be
pushed down to do easier assignments. It’s important for teachers to not only
know if they are English learners, but know where they are and what kind of
help they need. As future teachers, we won’t be helping students by giving them
an assignment that is too easy for them.
Also telling a child to write about their native country or
where they are from, might not help them either. Many times children are
brought to the United States as little babies or toddlers, how are they
supposed to know what their country was like? It makes no sense to have these
types of assignments. The teacher can ask the student to write a research paper
about the country, but personal experiences might not be a good thing to use if
the student did not spend many years in the country that he or she can
remember. If I were told as a student in elementary school, to write about my
country, I wouldn’t have much to say. Even though I’m a bilingual student and I
was in the bilingual program, I was born in the United States and the only
country I know is this one. Other than the few trips to Mexico I would go in
the summer, I didn’t know much about where my parents were from as a child.
In Kubota’s article we see how a teacher who does not know much
about other languages starts to learn more about it just because she has
bilingual students in her class. Mainstream teachers should know that not all
the students in the classroom will be monolingual English speakers. There might
be bilingual students in a classroom and they have to know how to teach them
and help them succeed. As a young child,
I was always in bilingual classes up until half way through fourth grade.
Luckily, I was able to get the help I needed in order to be proficient in both
languages. Schools should have bilingual education programs, but sometimes they
don’t because of the lack of students who are bilingual. For those random
bilingual students that are put in any monolingual class, teachers need to be
prepared. They need to find ways to teach them and grade them a little
differently perhaps since they don’t know everything as well as the rest of
their peers due to their low level of English proficiency.
No comments:
Post a Comment